BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, March 19, 2010

Book Review #11

Impulse
By: Ellen Hopkins

Summary: Sometimes you don't wake up. But if you happen to, you know things will never be the same. Three lives, three different paths to the same destination: Aspen Springs, a psychiatric hospital for those who have attempted the ultimate act -- suicide. Vanessa is beautiful and smart, but her secrets keep her answering the call of the blade. Tony, after suffering a painful childhood, can only find peace through pills. And Conner, outwardly, has the perfect life. But dig a little deeper and find a boy who is in constant battle with his parents, his life, himself. In one instant each of these young people decided enough was enough. They grabbed the blade, the bottle, the gun -- and tried to end it all. Now they have a second chance, and just maybe, with each other's help, they can find their way to a better life -- but only if they're strong and can fight the demons that brought them here in the first place. (Summary by Borders.com)

Review: I'm a big fan of Ellen Hopkins, everything she writes seems to speak to me, so I was not disappointed in reading this book and falling in love with all three characters. Tony, Vanessa, and Conner all end up in a psychiatric hospital for attempting suicide. They all have different reasons for doing so, but seem to have a lot in common. We see each character at it's worst point, and we watch as they grow and develop and come to terms with their lives. 
Out of all 3 my favorite character was probably Vanessa. I felt like I could relate to a lot of things she went through  and that she was able to find love and meaning and a will to live. One thing I didn't like was the fact that it just sort of ended, I would have liked to have seen each character deal with going home, and not the way it ended (now I don't want to give away too much). 
Overall it was a good read, and has secured my love for Ellen Hopkins novels. She always tells her story beautifully and her characters are always so real. I give it a 7/10 Stars. 

0 comments: